Monday, May 6, 2013

Take a Risk, Take a Chance


So... when we are not consumed with wedding planning, then we are pretty much divulging ourselves in future planning. What are we doing? Where do we want to end up? The beauty of being young and without obligations allows us the advantage to contemplate life and take terrifying, yet exciting risks. After thorough discussion and planning, Cori and I made the decision to say good-bye to NY/CT and hello to California!    

San Francisco, CA 2009: Golden Gate Bridge

What is the American dream? Is it getting married to a financially situated partner, owning a home with a white picket fence, raising 2.5 kids, and working a 9-5 at a job that doesn’t excite you, but the pay is remarkable? 

American Dream, Circa 1950s

When I embarked on my college career I was convinced that I wanted this cookie-cutter dream. I started out as a writing and literature major, but eventually transferred to psychology and human services. Part of the reason for my transfer was because I was overcoming an eating disorder and the topic of psychology and addictions sparked my interest. The other part of the reason was because I didn’t believe that I could chase the “American Dream” with a writing career. 

Fast-forward to the now… I graduated undergrad and graduate school with a psychology degree, obtained my drug and alcohol license and a career as a behavioral health therapist, traveled, moved out with my girlfriend, and then I married her. So far, so good. The next step in my 10-year plan was to apply to PhD. Programs and obtain my doctorate in social psychology.  Or so I thought…

Embrace it.

Am I passionate about psychology? Yes, but it is not my only passion. I’m a creative person by nature and through a journey of self-discovery I realized that I needed to incorporate creativity into my career. I was accepted into a doctoral program for social psychology and I found myself to be apathetic towards the news. While I have no regrets about my choices in life, I had this unsettling feeling that I may regret spending 5 years engaging in something that didn’t excite me. 

When I’m not focused on work I’m focused on my creative outlets. I still love to write, as well as paint, act, and be crafty. I found a school in San Francisco, California that teaches Expressive Art Therapy.  Needless to say, I turned down the doctoral program. I realized that I’ve been chasing dreams that weren’t 100% mine because I wanted the “American Dream.”  Now all I really want is to be happy with my own dream… a dream that I can share with Cori who has been a superstar throughout my own personal odyssey of self-discovery. She has been my greatest strength, encouraging me to strive to my fullest potential without sacrificing personal happiness. 
 
Undergraduate Graduation, Circa 2004

Graduate Graduation, Circa 2008

Cori and I have come to the conclusion that our version of the “American Dream” doesn’t involve a husband, but rather a beautiful wife with a great career that makes her feel alive. We happily live in a city apartment and will be looking for a permanent place to call home within the next couple of years. Neither of us are a fan of white picket fences, but we wouldn’t mind a stable and a fenced-in area to keep horses. We are uncertain about having children, but we have adorable fur-children who fill our hearts plenty. As for careers, we will be searching for new employment opportunities with a focus on quality, not quantity.  Cori loves working as a Trauma nurse and will be looking to move ahead in her field, while I attend the 3 year Expressive Arts Therapy/MFT program with the end goal of owning an independent practice where I can utilize creativity in my therapeutic practices.  Last, but certainly not least, we are going to make travel a necessity of life.  

Breakaway <3

With that being said... our next vacation will be a cross country road trip from the east coast to the west coast with the pups (flying that cat over once we get settled). Cori has done a phenomenal job planning our route in order to make sure we see many of America's greatest treasures. We would like to welcome you to share our journey as we pack up our lives and drive almost 3000 miles to the west coast where we will embark on new adventures as wife-and-wife! 

Coming this autumn!

Follow us on Twitter and "Like" us on Facebook <3

10 comments:

  1. Wow, how exciting. I totally understand this as I have never wanted to follow the conventional route either. I think life is just for living and you have to do whatever makes you happy. Good luck with the move and I look forward to following your story x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very nervous about writing this, but I am so grateful for the support! It's a giant leap of faith, but I am so happy and lucky to have Cor by my side. xox

      Delete
    2. You two seem like the perfect match. Oh and we are planning a trip to San Francisco next year too so maybe we can catch up too! x

      Delete
    3. That would be so great! Would love to plan something with you both! xox

      Delete
  2. Awesome!! We want to do a similar (probably smaller scale) road trip across the US pre-kids, so we can't wait to see what you get up to! So glad we got to meet you in NYC before your move! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! We've done smaller trips (i.e. down south approx. 12 hrs) and had so much fun! Love flying, but road trips just seem so adventurous! We are so happy we were able to meet up as well... more meet ups in the future for sure! Let us know if you're planning a trip to Cali in the future and a trip to the UK is still in the works for us =) xox

      Delete
  3. Wow...so so fabulous and exciting.... How amazing it will be to live in California...
    We are planning a trip to San Fran next year...we can meet up... Yay
    Good luck moving..... Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and YES! We should def plan a meet up! We will be all settled in by then... it would be perfect! xox

      Delete
  4. That is awesome that you're sticking to your true dreams and following your passion. Expressive Arts Therapy sounds like a perfect fit! I think change keeps us alive and growing. So, so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so exciting!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing your travels and of course if you need a place to stay in the greater Colorado area.... Geri and I have a guest bedroom. :D

    ReplyDelete